16 March 2005

Granny and Poppa

I picked up Tide from Daycare last night, went to the closest grocery store to pick up some flowers, and made my way to Granny and Poppa's. This is the first time I have been to their house since September 1st, when I picked Tide up and fled across the state, away from the Hurricane. I remember Granny not having any idea what to do. Do they stay in their block home? Do they try to drive south, north, west? It was hard, since she's the kind of woman everyone goes to for sound advice. When Granny didn't know what to do, you kinda just felt lost...

As I had indicated in an earlier post, that first Hurricane ripped off a large part of their roof, exposing the interior to a lot of water damage. They replaced the roof and rebuilt the porches along the back of their house. They ended up gutting the entire house, walls, ceilings and all floors. They even had to gut their bathrooms, as water had gotten behind the walls, leaving damage behind tile in the showers, etc. Their kitchen appliances-replaced. Their living room, family room, dining room furniture-all replaced. The house looks unbelievable now. It looks new, which I guess it is.

Tide froze. He was very excited to see them, but in no way was he comfortable with his former hangout being completely different. It took him roughly a half an hour before he'd let go of my leg and venture into the family room to talk to Poppa. By the time we left, he was moving around freely, but still had a confused look on his face.

I had called Granny prior to just dropping by, she was excited that we were going to visit. She had just gotten her leg brace off from her last surgery, and mentioned she was ready to take Tide back if we wanted. So, I had the not so pleasant task of explaining how I felt the place Tide was at is better for his age. That he's learning more, blah blah... I ended my little speech with, but hey I'm pregnant again, so you can watch this one when he/she's ready. (ready meaning, when I am ready to have the baby pryed from my dead cold... No, I mean once Business + Baby becomes too much for me to swing)

All in all it really was a great visit. They are just such wonderful people, I miss my morning talks with Granny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home