23 March 2006

Just another day in paradise... ?

Not Really.

The customer who owes us several thousand dollars opted to wait until next week to wire us the funds. (I guess being done with the job for three weeks before paying fits his fancy better) I guess that silver lining I avoid finding would be I'm certain I could sell his $30K boat for the balance of what he owes without an issue, so it's okay... Really.

However the sorry motherfucker who bounced a $1500 check to us and has his boat in his possession needs to bring me my money NOW. I guess it's not good enough that we work 50 + hour weeks, I guess it's not good enough that we worked on his boat for days on end making it run smoothly, we still need to work more. We need to RE-EARN our money. I love that part. We get to be painted as the bad evil shop hunting him down for payment. I honestly don't give a fuck if his girlfriend left him and bought a bunch of shit on his account before she left. I do not want to hear it, I've heard it all before, really, people have some really great excuses. Some real, legitimate, others sorry motherfuckers.

See, a person who is remorseful, meaning well , yet caught in a bad situation will bring their boat in, let us hold it until the debt is paid. They will pay $20/week until they can clear their bill. Those people do not bother me, I have a soft spot, understanding that things don't go as planned and sometimes, (a lot), thing aren't like you want them to be. More times than not, the people who write us bad checks know they are doing it when they smile and thank me for all our hard work. These people infuriate me.

Here's where running your own business looses it's halo of glory that people paint it as. So, let me clarify a few minor points. (1) No we DO NOT make our own hours, you work more than you want and get chastised when you take a day off. (2) We do not make the shop rate per hour! It's more like $1.00 per hour, thanks for thinking we're raking it in, and over charging your ass! Shit by the time you pay insurances you're lucky to make a profit, then... Oops someone bounces a fucking check and look you're in the fucking hole... Again. (3) Every "fuck you"that you swallow while a customer is complaining to you does not easily roll off your back. They build until you find yourself taking copious amounts of antidepressants and tranquilizers to get through the day.

So, paradise? Today it's not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home